For small businesses (and even large ones), organizing, managing and maintaining records can be quite a challenge. We’ve provided some tips to make this necessary evil a little easier for everyone!
Organizing your files:
- Arrange files strategically for maximum space utilization.
- Create an aisle space so that you can access items from more places.
- Separate departmental records accordingly in regards to accessibility and security needs/concerns.
- Place the same type of files in one box (i.e. Do not place payables in the same box as payroll records).
- Use forms to track record series and types (i.e. Data Entry, File Location Management, Record Transmittal, File Location Tracker, etc.).
- Track date ranges and alphanumeric ranges of contents.
Maximize your space:
- Utilize vertical space by stacking as many items as possible. This is where shelving is particularly helpful.
- Maximize stacking by filling boxes completely. Make sure boxes have sturdy tops and lids.
- Utilize proper shelving to organize records. For example, 8′ x 4′ foot shelves hold approximately 42 file boxes.
- Place labels on a part of the file box where it will be easily seen (typically the end of the box).
- Leave a “legend” out for those accessing the files to see. The legend should decipher what part of the unit different types of files are in; this way they can be located more easily.
Visit STORExpress Self-Storage located in Pittsburgh, PA for all of your small business records management needs! Contact us at 412-449-0123 or visit www.storexpress.com.