Did you know that moving is one of the top 3 most stressful events in a person’s life? If you or someone you know is moving be sure to follow these steps to make the move stress and hassle free!
One Month Before…..
- Take an inventory of your home. Decide what you want to keep and what you would like to discard. Have a yard-sale or donate items that you no longer want.
- Select a moving company or reserve a rental truck with STORExpress.
- Begin packing the things that you do not use frequently.
Two Weeks Before….
- Once you know your new address, contact the following utility companies: phone, electric, gas, water, trash removal, and cable (schedule installation the same day as move-in).
- Arrange to have the utilities shut-off at your old address and turned on at your new home.
- Make an approximate floor plan of your new home that allows movers to properly place your furniture.
The Day Before…
- Make sure you have the following items on hand: Keys, maps, directions to your new home, a copy of your floor plan, and all moving-related documents.
- Do a final walk-through of your current house to make sure that you are not leaving anything behind.
- Reserve a parking space for the moving trucks as close as possible to your new home. They normally require at least three parking spaces per truck.
- Pick-up the rental truck. If you hired movers instead, make sure that they are on their way.