Moving is one of the most stressful parts of life. However, a good plan makes for a good move. These tips you can relax and focus on the exciting new adventure before you. These smart solutions will lead to a stress-free move. With consideration and a planning you can make any move the smart move.
One Month Before…
• Create a moving binder to keep track of everything. Keep all your estimates, receipts, and inventories.
• Take an inventory of your home. Decide what you want to keep and what you would like to discard. Have a yard-sale or donate items that you no longer want.
• Select a moving company or reserve a rental truck.
• Begin packing the things that you do not use frequently.
Two Weeks Before…
• Once you know your new address, contact the following utility companies: phone, electric, gas, water, trash removal, and cable (schedule installation the same day as move-in).
• Arrange to have the utilities shut-off at your old address and turned on at your new home.
• Make an approximate floor plan of your new home that allows movers to properly place your furniture.
The Day Before…
• Make sure you have the following items on hand: Keys, maps, directions to your new home, a copy of your floor plan, and all moving-related documents.
• Do a final walk-through of your current house to make sure that you are not leaving anything behind.
• Reserve a parking space for the moving trucks as close as possible to your new home. They normally require at least three parking spaces per truck.
• Pick-up the rental truck. If you hired movers instead, make sure that they are on their way.
Want a free rental truck? STORExpress offers a free truck and gas for move in once you rent a storage unit. If you need space to put your items during the gap period between moves, store your belongings in one of our storage units. Visit our website to learn more and reserve your unit today!